The City of Fountain Valley is proud to host a Utility Art Box Program, “Art on a Box,” as part of a beautification project to promote local artists, local history, and create a sense of community engagement, civic pride and heritage. The program supports the creation of public art by sponsoring artists to improve the visual aesthetics and invigorate utility boxes in public right-of-way streets by turning City-owned utility cabinets into a canvas for art.
When there are utility boxes that are available for wrapping and funding becomes available, there will be a call for artists. Eligible artists must meet each of the following criteria to be eligible to participate in the program:
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older. Artists younger than 18 years of age will need a legal parent/guardian to complete all paperwork;
- Artists must be a resident of, or affiliated with, the City of Fountain Valley;
- Artists will be given priority in the order of the following:
1) Artists who live in Fountain Valley;
2) Artists who work in Fountain Valley;
3) Artists who support or have an affiliation with the City of Fountain Valley.
The overall goal of the program:
- Distinguish the City of Fountain Valley as a nice place to live, work, and play;
- Provide every member of the community easy visual access to a form of public art from public street access;
- Strengthen civic pride and engagement, and historical heritage;
- Installation of work that will help improve quality of life;
- Help provide a public venue for local artists to showcase their talents and bring a sense of community and belonging by promoting community pride, civic engagement, and cultural heritage.
For additional information or to apply, visit: Art on a Box Program or contact Jenni Worsham at firstname.lastname@example.org or (714) 593-4447.