How do I Dispose of...

1. Old Medicine?

A: Most medicines used in a home are not considered hazardous waste. Although the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center at Republic Services will accept medications, they can also be disposed of in the trash after being secured in durable packaging. The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center at the Republic Services facility is located at 17121 Nichols Street in Huntington Beach. For more information about how to dispose of old medicine, click here.

2. Sharps?

 A: It is illegal to dispose of home generated sharps, including syringes and lancets, in the trash or recycling containers. The law requires all sharps waste be transported to a collection center or to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center such as the one located at the Republic Services facility at 17121 Nichols Street in Huntington Beach. Carefully place all sharps in a heavy-duty puncture resistant container with a tight fitting lid, such as a plastic milk jug, and take them to a Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. Additional information about proper Sharps Disposal may be found on the OC Waste & Recycling website.

3. Fluorescent light bulbs?

 A: Fluorescent light tubes, curly bulbs and lamps contain traces of mercury that can become hazardous. These must be properly handled when they no longer work. DO NOT DISCARD IN THE TRASH. They must be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center at the Republic Services facility located at 17121 Nichols Street in Huntington Beach, or they can also be recycled through authorized recycling programs at retail centers such as Home Depot or Lowe's. For more information, visit and Bulbs & Batteries Recycling | Republic Services

4. Household Hazardous Waste?

 A: Leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable or reactive ingredients are considered to be "household hazardous waste" or "HHW." Products, such as paints, cleaners, oils, batteries and pesticides, that contain potentially hazardous ingredients require special care when you dispose of them. 
Improper disposal of HHW can include pouring them down the drain, on the ground, into storm drains, or in some cases putting them out with the trash. The dangers of such disposal methods might not be immediately obvious, but improper disposal of these wastes can pollute the environment and pose a threat to human health.

The closest Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center (HHWCC) site to Fountain Valley is located at Gate No. 3 at the Republic Services facility at 17121 Nichols Street in Huntington Beach. For additional information, call the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at 714-834-6752, visit the Orange County Waste and Recycling website. There are also Hazardous Waste Collection Centers that allow drop off acceptable waste. Visit the website the to learn more information.

For your safety, please observe the following regulations in preparing for your visit to the HHWCC: 
  • A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds may be transported per vehicle, per trip (Department of Transportation Requirement). It is illegal to exceed these limits. 
  • Containers larger than five gallons will not be accepted. 
  • Containers will NOT be returned, except for oil containers, upon request. 
  • Materials should be in original containers (except motor oil, fuels and antifreeze). 
  • All containers must have lids, be sturdy, non-leaking, labeled and protected from breakage. 
  • Do not combine different types of waste. 
  • Do not mix oil-base paint with latex paint. 
  • Empty containers with lids removed can be discarded in the trash.

5. Electronic Waste?

A: Electronic waste, or e-waste, includes household or office electronic devices in functional or non-functional condition that are no longer used. Toxic substances like lead, cadmium, and mercury that are commonly used in theses products. Theses products can contaminate the land, water, air, and harm people. Making good choices about what to do with our e-waste can help ensure a clean environment for future generations. 

There is no charge. Information can be found at Republic Services also provides a safe way to dispose of electronic waste, more information can be found on their website: Electronics & E-Waste Recycling | Republic Services

What to Recycle

To help residents dispose of e-waste, the city offers free e-waste recycling events. This service helps residents to properly dispose of their e-waste. Acceptable household e-waste items include the following:

  • Cell Phones
  • Computer Monitors
  • Computer Printers
  • Desktop Copiers
  • DVD and VCR Players
  • Fax Machines
  • Home Entertainment Systems
  • Keyboards
  • Laptops
  • Loose Wires in Working Condition or Not
  • Televisions

6. Household Batteries?


A: Batteries are hazardous waste. DO NOT throw batteries into the trash or recycling bin. Collect batteries in non-metallic, non-combustible, covered containers. Plastic works well for battery collection. Properly dispose and recycle at a collection center. For more information, visit the

The City has three battery disposal locations at City facilities, as follows: 

  • Fountain Valley City Hall, 10200 Slater Avenue 
  • Fountain Valley Recreation Center, 16400 Brookhurst Street 
  • Fountain Valley Senior Center, 17967 Bushard Street.

All 9 volt battery terminals must be covered with tape. Republic Services also provides safe disposal, visit the website for more information: Bulbs & Batteries Recycling | Republic Services

7. Bulky Household Items?
Bulky Items

 A: Republic Services provides a FREE bulky item collection program to single and multi-family residents. Each resident located in the city is entitled to 3 bulky item collections per year and up to 10 items per pick up. Contact Republic Services at 714-238-330 to reserve a free bulky item collection date. Bulky items include large, hard to handle items as furniture, appliances, computers, computer monitors, electronic waste, and extra yard waste.

For more information visit Republic Services website:

Bulk Trash Pickup & Junk Removal | Republic Services

A: The county has a FREE material exchange program for Household Hazardous Waste. Orange County residents can take home partially used household, yard and care care products for FREE. You don't need to drop anything off to pick up an item. Be sure to stop at any of the four centers located in Orange County area. Residents are able to choose up to five items per week, per household. Please call 714-834-4000 if you have any questions.